On Wed, Dec 1, 2010 at 8:00 PM, Charles-H. Schulz <
charles.schulz@documentfoundation.org> wrote:

Michael,

I have several people who alerted me about this sentence:
"In order to ensure a quality end product the website will be developed
in English initially then will be opened up to native language groups
within the LibreOffice community to translate and adapt to best suit
the language and culture."
This is written in the i18n wiki page about Drupal. I think the
Native-language teams will be very reluctant to follow english, as they
like to do things their own way. So please let's not impose frames such
as this to communities who just got out of the infamous Collabnet
infrastructure, and ask them what they want first.

Thanks

Charles.

I am very keen to get any feedback from the Native Language teams.
To address your concerns, the site must be designed in one language in order
not to cause confusion with administering the infrastructure, setting up
workflows (documentation and designs), designing the interface and
implementing the foundations on which the community will be built.

I cannot think of any way to develop a fully structured site without initial
development in a single language.
To give you an example: What if Google decided that every language team
should develop their own search engine without input from any other team? We
are simply trying to avoid chaos during the initial infrastructure
development.

We already have a very strong multi-national, multi-lingual team working on
the website and I would invite any and all people to have their input into
the site structure and join the Drupal website development team. If people
cannot speak English, I encourage submissions in other languages and we can
use automatic translators to communicate through the mailing list.

I will adjust the phrasing of the paragraph you have highlighted, but let me
assure you that when the time comes for inputting content and pages on the
site every language will be invited to contribute at the same time
(including English). We simply need to set up the infrastructure in a common
language so we are all pulling in the same direction.

One thing to note is that the main site infrastructure will be multilingual
by default (not English). Project teams such as the marketing, website,
documentation and design teams, just to name a few, will be multilingual
which will lower the barriers for all languages to get involved with the
project and not segregate the non-English community.

You mentioned the infamous Collabnet infrastructure and we would be very
interested to hear opinions about how the ideal Native Langauge team
infrastructure could be setup? What features, workflows and tools do all
Native Language teams need?

I would appreciate it if you would communicate this back to the people who
have raised concern.

Michael Wheatland