Hi Sophie, all,

I think there are still some misunderstandings in what Michael and the Drupal team are developing.

I hope I can solve this by giving some examples. Please correct me if I'm the one misunderstanding the context...

Sophie Gautier schrieb:
Hi Michael, all,

I'm sorry, I'm currently travelling and really very partially connected,
but there is a point where I would like to give clarification:

[...]

(-) All languages will have the same content, some of which will be
automatically translated so collaboration can occur across languages.
(Forums, News, Extensions, Templates)

Michael speaks here of the main site

http://www.libreoffice.org/

and it's pages like

http://www.libreoffice.org/about.html
http://www.libreoffice.org/why.html

and so on.

Some international resources will be covered too:

http://forum.libreoffice.org/
http://templates.libreoffice.org/

and the like.

All these pages are mainly created in English, but can be translated to any other language - keeping the structure and content of the pages.

Of course manual translation produces better results, but if there is no translation existent, the page stays in English.

It might be translated to the language in question by a "google translate button" or something similar, but all of this stays on the main site.

I assume that the website will present the main site in the language detected from the browser that can be modified manually.

You do not mean that the sites in different languages will look the same
with the same content?

Only for the main site http://www.libreoffice.org

Language projects need to have their own content
and do not rely on automatic translation because it deliver very poor
quality.

For any native language team the content of their language based sub-site (for French http://fr.libreoffice.org, German http://de.libreoffice.org and so on) will be created by themselves and might be totally different from the content of any other native lang page.

It's up to the team if a page like

http://fr.libreoffice.org/why.html

would look like

http://www.libreoffice.org/why.html

if looked at it with a French browser (or modified standard language).

[...]But for the content, really each project should be able to manage
it's own content.

It stays independent - only the main page will get a translation that has not been possible at the main OOo page.

Does this sound reasonable?

I hope I got it right - if not, please correct me!

Best regards

Bernhard

PS: To establish a consistent LibreOffice branding I'd really like to see common visuals and structures shared among all the different sub-sites of www.libreoffice.org. Therefore it is crucial to include all the feedback by the different language teams in the decision on how this visual identity design should look like. But that's another story - to be told on design@libreoffice.org...