Le 2010-11-23 18:38, Christoph Noack a écrit :
Hi Marc,

thanks a lot to the whole team! And of course, thanks for the changelog
etc. I would love to provide detailed feedback, but I really miss the
time at the moment ... so here just a few "instant thoughts" from a UX
perspective (that usually means that we mainly refer to those items that
require tweaking, we mostly skip the positive stuff *g*).

Drupal Frontpage ...

Information Design
       * Visual Hierarchy
               * The most important element (Download) button is hard to
                 locate. It misses the "conventional" design being green
                 and at a prominent position.
               * The groups/elements miss space to get better separation.
                 As people say "space is information".
               * The header graphics (colorful) moves away the attention
                 to the more important stuff. It also seems to be
                 animated ... so please either keep the site as clean as
                 possible and keep the larger header graphic, or remove
                 the visual intensity of the header graphic.
               * The text and element sizes are somehow unusual. Some of
                 the text is very large, some of the text is tiny.
       * Editorial Content
               * Text like "I need help" may be true, but only few users
                 want to hear that they are helpless :-)
               * The "I ..." have been a matter of debate for a long time
                 on the OOo website. The "I ..." doesn't add value and
                 doesn't help to feel "part of the community".
               * The Web 2.0 stuff (great idea...) seems a bit scary with
                 the square brackets. And, it seems to use a lot of
                 space ...

Layout
       * The layout requires intensive scrolling - some of the
         interesting items for those who are not aware of the activity
         within the community, might miss the news and the blogs.
         Although I do like its presentation.
       * Some items are visually connected to others, although there is
         no information link - e.g. the search box connected to the front
         graphics.

Visual Design
       * The visual design doesn't fit together ... for example, the logo
         at the top got some mirroring (why?), but the remaining items on
         the page show drop shadows - with light from directly above. the
         other items show shadows with light direction "front". Some more
         items are just flat. The text in the header graphics shows
         shadows with light from the right side ... it doesn't create a
         harmonic and consistent impression. Another example: Some of the
         object edges are rounded, some are "sharp".
       * In most cases, websites (and UIs) do look good, if they are
         aligned to a certain grid. Within the current proposal, most of
         the item groups are unrelated / not aligned with other items.
         This would create more "visual stability" and predictability
         (where to look for what).

Accessibility:
       * Elements sometimes do have limited contrast. For example, the
         text in the header graphic is hard to read (white on bright
         green). The "breadcrumb navigation" is black (small font) on
         gray background.

Okay, time is up :-) I hope this criticism is perceived to be helpful
instead of annoying. However, I'm looking forward to see some more
information with regard to the community goals, and thus, the visual
language.

By the way, maybe I have discussed some things not being meant for
discussion. I recommend to use the "Fidelity Matrix" to improve such
kinds of discussions. I blogged about it here:
http://uxopenofficeorg.blogspot.com/2010/05/picture-is-worth-thousand-words.html

Mmh, I just saw the mail by Ivan - so feel invited to discuss that with
some more people on the design list.

Michael and web-site team, sorry for mis-using this thread - I still owe
you some information on the UX workflows and tools. Yet to come :-( But,
has there been any consideration of implementing website analytics /
statistics to further improve the page once it is online?

Bye,
Christoph

Thanks for the notes Christoph. This is really helpful. I don't believe that the website analytics / statistics had been considered at that point. But IMO these should always be part of large sites like these.

I believe the consensus is to move these conversations to the Design list. So see you there.

Marc