Forwarding from the discuss@ list to the website@ list...

I like MediaWiki and use it extensively, including as an intranet wiki at my current workplace. I
recognize it's the default choice because that's what OOo has been using and because it is well and
widely-known.

However, it was not designed for the use-case of an intranet or project management wiki. People
have written extensions and hacks to make it fit, and they've done a great job, but I feel it still
falls a little short. Hence my recommendation that we look closely and compare the features offered
by other engines. In my experience, the most complete is Foswiki, but we should be thorough and
consider several, including MoinMoin (used for Ubuntu and Apache's wikis), DokuWiki, MediaWiki and
others.

Foswiki: http://foswiki.org/
MoinMoin: http://moinmo.in/
DokuWiki: http://www.dokuwiki.org/
MediaWiki: http://www.mediawiki.org/

Wikipedia's list of wiki engines is here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_wiki_software

More broadly, I think we can better integrate the wiki and the main website than we have done
before. Some projects use wikis for their entire websites, though that might not be ideal for
LibreOffice. However, we could use the wiki for major sections of the site, and interlink the
header back and forth between wiki and primary CMS to make it feel like one coherent site.

I'd like to suggest this mailing list work on the information architecture for the forthcoming
project site and wiki, in parallel to our other threads investigating CMS and wiki platforms to
build upon.

-Ben

Begin forwarded message: