Re: [libreoffice-users] Make field time format HH:MM instead of HH:MM:SS

I accidentally replied to you directly, I'm sorry for that. Here's another
one, this time sent to the right destination, see below.

Den lör 2 maj 2020 kl 07:49 skrev Ken Heard <kenslists@teksavvy.com>:

> On 01/05/20 11:31 PM, Johnny Rosenberg wrote:

> >> Yes

> in
> you
> >>
> >> I followed your instructions, but as far as I can see they will only
> >> change the format of the time field for that use of the field, What I
> >> want to do is to change the *default* of the time field to HH:MM from
> >> HH:MM:SS.
> >>
> >> Regards, Ken Heard
> >>

> > Have a look here then:
> >
> https://ask.libreoffice.org/en/question/158048/how-do-i-change-the-default-datetime-format/
> >
> > I'll quote the important part, in case that page is removed at some
> point:
> > ”*The default formats (date/time, currency, fixed/scientific/percent; in
> > long/medium/short variants where applicable) depend on cell/field/...
> > language, and are hardcoded in the corresponding locale data (see
> > i18npool/source/localedata/data
> > <
> https://opengrok.libreoffice.org/xref/core/i18npool/source/localedata/data/
> >
> > for the locale data definitions). They are not configurable (unless you
> > rebuild LibreOffice).*
> >
> > *You may want to create a macro to automate insertion of fields with
> > desired format; please see this question
> > <
> https://ask.libreoffice.org/en/question/136467/how-to-create-a-macro-to-insert-the-current-date-in-the-current-language/
> >
> > for details.*”
>
> Thank you Johnny for this information. So I now have really two
> options, One is to learn all about LibreOffice macros and create a
> macro to give the result I want, OR simply type in the time wherever I
> want it. While I do want sometime to learn all about macros, for the
> time being I will choose the second option!
>
> Regards, Ken Heard

1. If you click the link in the macro paragraph above, you will at least
see a few macro examples that are claimed to work (I didn't test them
though, so I don't know) and they don't seem to be very hard to edit to
suit the needs of this specific situation.
2. If you instead are going to insert many time fields in the same
document, or even in different documents that are all open at the same
time, you can just insert the first one, change its format to HH:MM, then
highlight the field, press Ctrl+c (copy) and then insert it with Ctrl+v
(paste) wherever you want. That way you don't need to change it's format
every time.
3. What kind of time field do you want to insert? ”Time (fixed)” or
”Time”? If ”Time” (time is updated on field update), there's an easy way:
Use Autocorrection! First create the field and edit it to your liking. Then
highlight and copy (Ctrl+c) it, then click ”Tools” → ”AutoCorrect”
→”AutoCorrect Options…” → enter your trigger text (let's try ”.tm” in the
”Replace” field, then hit ”OK”. Now, every time you type ”.tm” in your
document (any document, actually, as long as they are opened with
LibreOffice Writer), the ”.tm” text will be replaced by a time field with
the current time. This can't be done if you want the field to be setup as
”Time (fixed)”, since there would always be the same time in that field,
that is the time when you first created the AutoCorrect record.
4. Do you really need to insert time as a field? If not, you could use
an external program for it, such as AutoKey (on Linux) or AutoHotKey (on
Windows). I use AutoKey for that and all I have to do to insert current
time is to type ”ti”. When I do that, the text ”ti” is replaced with the
current time as soon as I hit a space, ⇥ or ↵.

Kind regards

Johnny Rosenberg