Bill

As is the usual I rushed to help before I read all of the posts.  I am glad that you have found the
solution to your question.  I did not.  My csv file brings the field in as text because the
smartphone exports the field as text.  I did some testing and found the following:

1 In the Text Import dialog box I set the Seperated By to Comma and the Text Delimiter to
Apostrophy (not sure why this is the way it has to be but it is)
2 Select the Other Options, Quoted Fields a Text (This will put " around the data in the sheet that
is text)
3 Once the sheet is open I do a Find & Replace with Regular Expressions turned on to Find "*" and
Replace with *.  This replaces all of the " with *.
4 Then Find * and Replace with (nothing) to get rid of the * and the numbers in the field are now
numbers instead of text.

This solution is not as clean as yours but it got the job done.

John McAtee