Re: [libreoffice-users] Problem with chapter numbering and TOC.

Hi Philip,

Thanks for taking the time to reply. My responses are given in-line.

On 17.11.2019 16:26, Philip Jackson wrote:
> On 14/11/2019 07:58, Dave Barton wrote:
>> I have set up chapter numbering as per the help page
>> https://tinyurl.com/vsq77lu and created a "New Chapter" page style.
>>
>> After inserting a manual page break with the "New Chapter" page style I
>> set the first paragraph style to "Heading 1" and the correct chapter
>> name/number is displayed both on the page and in Navigator.
>>
>> However, when I insert a TOC into the document no chapters appear in the
>>
>> Any thoughts or pointers would be welcome.
>>
>> Thanks Dave
> Hi Dave,
>
> Looking at your original document, it is clear that in the chapters you
> have created, all that appears in the heading of each chapter is the
> 'Before' and 'After' elements that you have specified in the dialog box
> of Tools > Chapter Numbering. As Regina states in her reply, you have
> not typed anything of your own invention.

Look at my reply to Regina. My own invention is the word "Chapter" plus
a single space in the Before field.

> Directly after Chapter 1, in the H1 heading above your text, type for
> example 'The Start'. Then right click in the TOC and select 'Update
> Index' and watch 'The Start' appear directly after Chapter 1 and before
> the long line of dots leading to the page number (3).

Yes I am fully aware of how to create a TOC. However, I stumbled over
this issue when preparing a LibreOffice training session for a group of
novice authors and I wanted to work "by the book" so that they could
accurately use our help files and documentation for future reference.

> The instructions you repeated from the help pages do work. Your later
> specially created test doc has a problem between the TOC and the first
> line - don't know what it is but when I created a similar file, leaving
> lots of space between the TOC and the body, it works perfectly.

I have unzipped both the origin documents that brought this issue to my
attention and the simplified example I created, but I have been unable
to find any issue with their internal structure.

I am having some difficulty working out what you mean by adding space
between the TOC and the (first line ?). Could I ask you to send me a
copy of your example file off list please?

> But you must, as Regina says, add some sort of title to your chapter
> heading, even a blank space.

See my reply above.

> hth
> Philip