At 13:33 24/09/2019 -0700, Mark Richter wrote:
I recently upgraded to LO 6.3.1 [...] . I noticed a new issue with Writer. In 6.2 and below, when I opened a blank document and selected File -> Open Recent -> <file>, the file I chose to open replaced the new blank file, either in the same window, or in a new window and the old one was closed for me. Also, when I opened a new Writer document and selected File -> Open -> <file> (or <ctlr>O), the same thing happened. In either case I only had one window open at this time. Since 6.3.1 came out, the new blank document window persists, making it an annoying extra step to close that unnecessary LO window since the blank new document does not go away on its own. This does not happen if I open a blank Calc window and select either of the above two options - the blank spreadsheet window disappears once I open the selected one of my choice.

Dare I say you may be suffering from Microsoft-itis? You talk of the issue being "with Writer" as if that is a separate application and not just the word for using LibreOffice on text documents. No: unlike some other office suites, which are just a collection of separate applications, LibreOffice is an integrated product, capable of creating and editing documents of various types. You seem to think you need to open Writer before you can open an existing text document. But no: you can open such a document from within LibreOffice or from outside it whether or not you have other documents open and no matter what type they might be.

So the real question is: why would you get yourself in the position of having that blank document if you didn't want it in the first place? If, as you say, you want to open an existing document, you can do so by double-clicking the document outside LibreOffice or by starting LibreOffice - not Writer, Calc, or whatever - and then using either of the techniques you describe. The "extra step" is not closing a blank document, but your choice to create it in the first place. If you have icons or menu items that offer to start "LibreOffice Writer" or "LibreOffice Calc", their function is to start LibreOffice *and* to open a fresh, blank document of the appropriate type: you shouldn't want to use them unless that is your intention.

I'm most concerned with the persistence of the empty new document window once something else is opened - that's not right.

If I was designing software and you'd chosen to open such a blank document, I might want to let you keep it.

I trust this helps.

Brian Barker