On 06/23/2011 02:26 AM, Alexander Thurgood wrote:
Le 19/06/11 10:23, Tom Cloyd a écrit :

Hi Tom,

Now open it. What I keep getting is a single record, with the autovalue
NOT created, and the default value in the second field. Hitting Enter,
one would think, would cause the key to instantiate, and the record
marker to move to the next record. What actually happens is nothing. No
autovalue realization, and no new record. It cannot be updated.
Yes, that is how it usually works, however, I can reproduce the
behaviour you describe in that particular circumstance on MacOSX with
LibO 3.4.

It can however be updated by editing the default value, or deleting it
with the backspace key, and say retyping it, or filling with another
value. This then produces the desired behaviour of creating an automatic
new tuple entry.

Additionally, it does some really strange things with the ID key, like
not autoincrementing it on the display, so what the user appears to see
is a series of '0' with each new tuple.

However, if you now close that edited table and then re-open it, the
keys appear to have automagically corrected themselves, so that they
appear in serial order.

Thus, there are in fact what looks like 2 bugs :

(1) the non-automatic creation of a new tuple using tab key or enter,
after having defined an automatic default text value in the table
definition ;

(2) the misleading display of autoincremented key values.

I have already read somewhere, either here or on a bug report, that the
default value setting of a text field caused problems with either
defining other fields at table creation time, or else making the table
uneditable (as in the present case).

Alex

Alex,

Thanks for this thorough investigation of the behavior I described. I'm glad it was replicated. I don't think this problem is (for me anyway) much of an impediment, but I HAVE noticed other problems with default values. To wit: default values set up in the table designer, do not appear in forms when a new record is created and the table field is linked to list box. The list box display remains blank. This happens if the default value is in the table, OR if it's set in the list box properties. Neither has any effect in the form, not even when the table/view browser (press F4 to get this) is active.

I'm terribly busy just using LO, and am behind in learning documentation and bug reporting. I honestly don't know what to do with this at present, but expect I will in the future (a few days, at best). If you think it appropriate to report either of these as a bug, and are willing to, that would be great. Otherwise, I'll put it on my list to get to once I catch up with my study.

Thanks again for you effort.

Tom Cloyd, MS MA
tc@tomcloyd.com
(435) 272-3332