In news:1308370331119-3078835.post@n3.nabble.com,
aqualung <xfekdcugjrkz@mailinator.com> typed:
In the Release Notes for LibreOffice 3.3.3, it says:

"For Windows users that have OpenOffice.org installed, we
advise uninstalling that beforehand, because it registers
the same file type associations."

If you think about the preceding paragraph, it's saying that both OOo and LO
use the same file types and thus there could be confusion to the program as
to which program should open a given file. Since you're apparently leaving
OOo for LO, just set OOo to not open any files via regstration; you'll have
to do so manually from within OOo then, and then only LO wll be able to open
whatever you set it for.
   Haven't tried it with 333, but another version, and it worked fine. Not
sure I see the need for it though; I only did it to see if it would work.
It's not a new situation.

HTH,

Twayne`

It would be nice to have the option of keeping OOo, for
the odd case when something that works in it is broken in
LibreOffice, or when you need OOo installed in order to
provide help to another user who has OOo but not LibO.

The way to do this, I guess, would be to add an option in
LibO's installation, e.g.:

"FILE ASSOCIATIONS
[x] Make LibreOffice the default program for all Open
Document Format file types
[  ] Make LibreOffice the default program for all Open
Document Format and all Microsoft Office file types
[  ] Do not make LibreOffice the default program for any
file types

Learn More"

The first radio button would be pre-selected. Clicking on
"Learn More" would bring up a verbose explanation, e.g.,
a listing ODF and MSO file extensions, what the
consequences of each choice are, perhaps also a pointer
to how file associations are set/changed in Windows.

Would this be a difficult thing to implement? Are there
other considerations besides registration of file
associations that make keeping OOo a problem?