Hi David,

djfw wrote (07-06-11 18:54)
Thanks for the advice Tom.  I will follow it, though I was thinking of
testing the upgrades to the filters for MS files.

It ís worth to test 3.4.0 too.
Identifying problems, and helping with a clear description is extremely valuable to help bugs getting fixed.
Some info can be found here:
 http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/QA
(Since you asked about some special features, I trust you are able to cope with that ;-) So in the end, you'll have a better chance of the bug being fixed in 3.4.1 ..

However, when a stable 3.4 version is released (3.4.1?) I will still face
the same issue...

Does not necessary have to be, as I already explained.

By the way: 3.3.x branch is different from 3.4.x.
3.3.x is extended with some bug fix releases over the year, to get optimal quality for companies and other organisations and users that really rely on easy and stability, without having to be careful for some bugs or use workarounds.

As background info, there is an interesting article

http://blog.documentfoundation.org/2011/05/13/announcing-a-new-beta-release/
and alike image
 http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/File:Adapt-o-meter.png

Cheers,