Mono projects are the projects I'm currently writing a geek book on.  It
is the realization by Bill Gates that Microsoft will be dust in the
computer archives very soon, like Singer, Wang, and Microsoft Bob.  C#
and much of DOT NOT has been ported to the Linux platform with much of
the funding of that port coming from BG/MS along with the internal C#
DOT NOT documentation.

Currently much of LibreOffice is written in Java, but much of OpenSuSE
and Gnome is being written in Mono.  KDE is written in C++ using Qt.
There are now Qt extensions/libraries for Java and Mono because Qt4
really rocks and Qt4 is the base library for all Nokia smart phone
development.

IBM's Lotus Symphony is based upon OO and the Eclipse project.  They
have been trying to merge back in their changes, but, with all of the
bust up, that merge doesn't seem to be happening.

Eventually, the OpenSource office suite which wins out will need to be
natively compiled because the p-compiled products consume way too many
resources on smaller platforms.