Date: prev next · Thread: first prev next last
2026 Archives by date, by thread · List index


On 2026-09-21 16:56, Gary Dale wrote:
I'm using LibreOffice 27.8.0.3 on a Debian/Testing (forky) AMD64 system.

The problem I'm trying to solve is to test to see if a cell contains a string contained in another cell.

e.g. =sumifs(rangetosum, rangetotest, cellcontainingvaluetotest).

The reason I'm using sumifs is that there are actually several tests I want to make. However they all work except the important one.

say, for example, cellcontainingvaluetotest contains a person's name while rangetotest lists the people who attended a particular event out of multiple events. Each cell in rangetotest has multiple unique names,

I can test with wildcards using a hardcoded name (e,g. "testname*") or without wildcards using the cell name. However that should only be returning the sum for cells with that name as the first in the list.

However *testname*" returns a 0 as the the sum. Similarly "&celltotest" and variations with an asterisk before and after the &celltotest also return a 0 as the sum.

How can I get the test to return "found" if the name is somewhere other than at the start of the cell?

Thanks.
Further to above, when I use the "cellcontainingvaluetotest" or a hardcoded name followed by an asterisk (all in quotes), the cell only matches if the value to test matches exactly. It's not just the start of the cell that it needs to match. It needs to match the entire cell.

--
To unsubscribe e-mail to: users+unsubscribe@global.libreoffice.org
Problems? https://www.libreoffice.org/get-help/mailing-lists/how-to-unsubscribe/
Posting guidelines + more: https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Netiquette
List archive: https://listarchives.libreoffice.org/global/users/
Privacy Policy: https://www.documentfoundation.org/privacy

Context


Privacy Policy | Impressum (Legal Info) | Copyright information: Unless otherwise specified, all text and images on this website are licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution-Share Alike 3.0 License. This does not include the source code of LibreOffice, which is licensed under the Mozilla Public License (MPLv2). "LibreOffice" and "The Document Foundation" are registered trademarks of their corresponding registered owners or are in actual use as trademarks in one or more countries. Their respective logos and icons are also subject to international copyright laws. Use thereof is explained in our trademark policy.