On 17/10/2023 14:16, Virgil wrote:

On 10/17/2023 3:59 AM, Philip Jackson wrote:
On 17/10/2023 03:28, Virgil Arrington wrote:
And, if you’re serious about publishing to the Amazon Kindle store then you might want to check out
Kindle Previewer as well.
After finalising the setup in Sigil, I run the epub through Amazon's Previewer to check how it
displays and if all's good, Previewer will export a .kpf file which is one of KDP's preferred
formats for uploading (they'll also accept epub).

That's interesting that Amazon accepts EPUB files. I've always been under the impression that
Kindles only use one of Amazon's proprietary file formats. In fact, I have never found a way to
load and read an EPUB file on a Kindle device, whether it's my dedicated Kindle, a Kindle Fire, or
the Kindle app on my phone. Is there some secret to getting Kindles to read and display EPUB files?

Perhaps there is a difference between what Amazon will accept for their store and what will
actually display on a Kindle device.

Amazon now prefers ebook uploads to KDP by epub or kpf. In the past (until, what, a couple of years
or three ago) authors had to convert epub to mobi which was easy to do with a bit of free software
supplied by KDP, Kindlegen. Now you can straight upload your epub file to KDP but I prefer to
upload the kpf. If you purchase from Amazon, they don't download you an epub but one of their
propritary formats depending on the device you're using.

Putting an epub on a kindle reading device is another matter. I'm reading an epub on a Kindle Fire
at the moment and used the BookFunnel app to download it to the Fire and to read. But the text font
is not adjustable, the chapters don't start on a new page. The DropCap at the beginning of each
chapter doesn't scale correctly. You might just as well be reading a pdf file. The only reason I'm
reading like this is that the Fire is my only portable bit of kit that remains at present and I
can't manage my desk top mc in bed.

Philip