Chris,

As I’m sure you’re aware, an LO Writer document – especially a Master Document --  is full of
formatting that is not needed on a Kindle. For example, Kindle doesn’t care about page margins, so
it’s not surprising that Calibre will dump page margins. I believe your results will also depend on
whether you use style-based formatting rather than direct formatting. For example, I have found
that Calibre retains my style-based paragraph indents, but eliminates tab-indented paragraph
formatting. So, that may explain why your paragraph indents are being ignored; have you created
them with tabs instead of a paragraph style?

As you’ve already discovered, I would avoid PDF, which is page oriented and not for free-flowing
text.

I’ve enjoyed playing with Amazon’s Kindle Create, which will take an MS-Word source document
(.doc/.docx) and convert it to a native Kindle format (which is *not* EPUB). You can download it
from Amazon (just search for Kindle Create). From what I’ve seen, your source document must be a
Word format file, but from there, you can do all sorts of formatting from within Kindle Create
itself. You can also export as an EPUB, although that is not needed for a Kindle, which doesn’t use
EPUB files.

If your ultimate destination is an e-Reader rather than a printed book, then I would try to
create/edit the document without any thought to page formatting as none of it will be needed. I
would even consider writing it in Markdown on a text editor and then using Calibre for my
conversion. Calibre can easily convert a Markdown file into any of its supported e-Reader formats
and you can clean it up with Calibre’s own editor. Of course, the difficulty comes when you need
both, a printed book formatted for the page and a Kindle book with a free-flowing text. In such a
case, the process required for each type of publication necessarily gets in the way of the other.

Good luck.

Virgil