At 17:45 10/02/2023 +0100, Johnny Rosenberg wrote:
At 12:29 10/02/2023 -0300, Ady Noname wrote:
While the correct / expected syntax of the AND() function is not what Steve used, the question is whether the "additional spacing" behavior should be reported as a bug.

I think it should. Then it's up to the developers to decide whether or not to do something about it. Maybe it could be set to low priority, though.

But hold on! Anything starting with an equals sign is regarded as a formula. And formulae are *always* edited by a spreadsheet program after entry. In particular, names of functions such as IF() and AND() can be entered in lower case - if() and and() - but these are edited to upper case by the program. Trailing spaces seem always to be trimmed. And =TRUE is edited to =1 - even though the result may be displayed as TRUE if the cell format requires this. If I enter =002+003, the formula is edited to =2+3.

If what is entered is pretending to be a formula but is actually nonsense, is it so surprising or worrying that the edited result is equal (but slightly different) nonsense, also masquerading as a formula?

Brian Barker