It's a little more complex than you describe. If I'm using one of my 'list' styles where in its
specification, the 'next style' is described as the same, I can hit return multiple times and each
leaves me a blank line in the same list style.

If I'm in my regular 'text body' style and I start a new para in that style, then I hit one of the
list formatting buttons in the toolbar, my paragraph remains in the text body style with formatting
applied to provide an indent and bullet or number. But I am always in the 'text body' style. If I
do not enter any text but simply hit return, the next paragraph is still in 'text body' style but
without the additional formatting supplied by the list button.  And the button darkening to which
you refer has gone.

For writing which will / or may be later transformed into another format such as epub, it is better
to avoid 'ad hoc' formatting and make a special style.

Philoip