On 11/12/22 04:53, John Kaufmann wrote:

When I found the questions interesting, I did not imagine how interesting: that the last day of each month is also the first day of the following month -- not just for Shaʿbān to Ramadan, but for all monthly transitions. The implications are fascinating.

There is a reason why serious developers point blank refuse to write their own calendar library.

That said, your use of "12th hour" suggests that "sunset" and "sunrise" are (like Gregorian "midnight") formal based on a 24-hour day, not literal - correct?

It depends.
* Sometimes one uses a standard clock, that breaks a day into 24 hours of 60 minutes each; * Sometimes one uses a time piece that breaks the time between sunset and sunrise into 12 hours, and between sunrise and sunset into 12 hours, with the length of the hours during daylight being different from those during the night. By way of example, where I am, the hours at night are roughly 80 minutes long, whilst the hours during the day are roughly 40 minutes long. Twelfth hour being at roughly 6 AM, with sunrise at roughly 7:45 AM, then the next 12th hour is at roughly roughly 3:30 PM, with sunset at roughly 4:15 PM. * Sometimes one uses a time piece that breaks the day into 12 hours, and the night into either 3 or 4 watches.

#####

I'm going to assume that LibO starts both the day, and the month at sunset. For when the exact day is critical, I'll run a script that calculates when the new moon was first _theoretically_ sighted in Mecca, Medina, and Jerusalem.

jonathon