I suppose you have lots of rows and columns.
I don't think it is a bug in writer not to overwrite letters in a "layer" but you may achieve the visual effect you are wanting by making each column a text box, each wide enough for the full number, right aligned, overlaying to the left, text boxes spaced 0.5".
steve