Ooops, I once again accidentally sent my reply directly to the OP and not
to the list, sorry. At least this one is to the list.

Den tis 9 aug. 2022 kl 20:04 skrev Dave Liesse <dsliesse@liessefamily.net>:

Using v7.3.4.2, so pretty well up to date.  Language is English (USA) and
commas/decimals are set correctly.

Ok, great so far. :)

Tab stops are .5 inches apart, so the numbers definitely overflow (seven
digits plus commas, 11 point type).  However, in my expectations (a) right
tabs should work the same as left tabs, regardless of length, and (b) in a
word processing document I don't expect numbers to be treated any
differently from plain text

I just tried that now in Writer with numbers and text. They both behave
exactly the same as far as I can tell (still LibreOffice 7.2.7.2). It seems
to adjust to the right and if the text or number is too long, it adjust to
the previous tab stop. I guess you could say that's an odd behaviour and
you could probably file a bug report and see if the developers agree, but
if there text at the previous tab stop, what would you want to happen?
Would you want the two numbers to overlap, displaying digits over each
other, or what?

-- except in the case of a decimal tab.  I'm using only whole numbers,
though.

I need the columns to overlap because of the nature of the report.

  I don't have space to have three 1.25-inch columns at the right edge of
the page and the corresponding left tabs on the left side (this is a
financial report with subaccounts).

Similar problem in the spreadsheet, though it's more expected there.  I
need the columns to be .5" wide, not wide enough to hold the whole number.
Text would overflow into the cell on the right (if it's empty), and I hoped
-- but didn't really expect -- numbers to do the same to the left.

The problem is that I need numbers to line up properly in right-justified
columns, without resorting to a fixed-space font (so the leading spaces are
the same width) and using left tabs.

And you can't just increase the distance between each tab stop or decrease
the font size? Or maybe remove every second tab stop?

Kind regards

Johnny Rosenberg

Dave