At 09:51 08/08/2022 -0400, Bill Drescher wrote:
On a spreadsheet I want to multiply time worked in hh:mm by pay rate (integer) and I can't find out how.

This is not a perfectly defined problem, I'm afraid. I'm guessing that the pay rate is per hour: is that right? In that case, your problem reduces to extracting a time value as a real number, so that an hour and a half, say, appearing as 01:30 is converted to simply 1.5.

And what do you mean by "time worked in hh:mm"? If you mean that your values are proper spreadsheet time values formatted as HH:MM, then the underlying values are actually fractions of a day. The VALUE() function will convert these values into normal numeric form, so your 01:30 will become 0.0625, as an hour and a half is that fraction of a day. Just multiply by 24 to get hours, so VALUE()*24 will give the required 1.5.

In fact, the VALUE() function will reinterpret text values, so if you have text values that *look like* times, this technique will still work. And it even works for time values over twenty-four hours. Note, though, that 25 hours will appear as 25:00 as text and as 01:00 (1 a.m. the following day) as a Time value formatted as HH:MM. Use [HH]:MM instead if you want to see 25:00.

In short, =VALUE(Xn)*24*payrate should work for any of these situations.

I trust this helps.

Brian Barker