Supplement:

There also seems to be another bug in Draw.
To be able to edit the text in a flow chart object, you must first right-click on the object and select "Break".

Kind regards,
Harald

Dear John,

first of all, thank you very much for your feedback.
This has led me to probe a little deeper into the theme.

Well I am not a developer but also just a user like you.
Therefore, as a user, you can only ever tell about experiences.

It is also possible that I did not understand your question correctly. Sorry, English is not my native language.

But now to the point. I'm glad you are familiar with frames, because they are a powerful tool in Writer.

There is also what I hope is a pleasing development for you.
You can use and change the flowchart graphics.
However, this only works in Draw.

I think it is a mistake that this does not work in Writer.
In this respect it would be appropriate to write a bug report.

Now for the differences, which I found out thanks to your feedback.

-- Flow charts in Writer. --

When you insert a flowchart object into Writer, you can't actually change it (as I said, probably a bug).
In this example I used the graphic object "Process".
Right-click the object and select Properties from the context menu.
The dialog shows you that it is an image and this is therefore not editable.

-- Flow charts in Draw. --

In Draw, add again the flow chart object "Process".
If you now double-click on the text, the cursor will appear for editing. (Heureka)

Try right-clicking on the object.
With "Break" you can learn that it is a composite object. Use the navigator to see the individual sub-objects.

-- Workaround - my proposal --

Create flowchart objects for your purposes in Draw and copy them to Writer.

I wish you much success.

Kind regards,
Harald