On 06/04/2022 15:03, Brian Barker wrote:
At 10:13 06/04/2022 +1200, Steve Edmonds wrote:
...just wondering if there is an easy way to clear formatting of the style '2892 where the apostrophe is used. When I paste data from a web page LO inserts the apostrophe by default. I realise there are options on pasting to have numbers pasted as text, but my query is in regards converting '2892 to the number 2892.

Are we talking spreadsheets? I don't think you mean formatting at all. At least, I suspect those apostrophes do not appear in the spreadsheet cells but instead only in the Input Line when you select a relevant cell. The apostrophe is just an indication - a warning - that what looks like a number in the cell is actually text. (Another indication may be that the values are left- rather than right-aligned by default.)

I cannot Format Cells... format as number or clear direct formatting ...

Well, you can do all of those things, but none of them will change the values you have in the cells, which is what you need to do - to convert text to the numerical value of that text, to convert two-eight-nine-two to two thousand, eight hundred and ninety-two.

... or find and replace the '.

You certainly cannot do that, as there is no apostrophe in the cell value to be found!

Here's an easy way:
o Select the column of values.
o Go to Data | Text to Columns... .
o OK.