Remy,

Thanks for your reply. When I set table contents to single the table
suddenly looked correct. So my problem is solved, but I am still
confused. Both tables look correct now, but note below how the settings
are different:

Table 1
Everything set to Default Paragraph Style, which is set to 16 points
fixed leading. Table Contents style is not applied. Padding is all set
to -0-. Cell height is all set to 16 points, and Fit to Size is not
checked.

Table 2
This table was originally set the same as Table 1, but the text was all
squished and row height was half what it needed to be. I changed the
Table Contents style to Single and applied it to the entire table. On
doing that the table all suddenly appeared correct, except that row 2
(which is a header and has a 0.5 point rule under it) appeared with the
text right on top of the rule. I fixed it by adding 0.5 point bottom
padding to just that row. I probably should have just centered the row,
per your suggestion.

So now everything in Table 1 is set to Default Paragraph Style and
everything in Table 2 is set to Table Contents. They look identical,
i.e., Table 2 rows are also 16 points, even though the Table Contents
style is set to Single.

On Tue, 29 Dec 2020 17:56:32 -0500
Remy Gauthier <remygauthier@yahoo.com> dijo:

Greetings,
I do this to get my tables the way I want them to be.

1) Normally, table content has the style "Table Contents" assigned to
it. Edit that style (View > Styles, then right click on Table Contents
and select Modify... in the style list) and make sure the spacing
before and after the paragraph are zero and the the line spacing is
single (on the Indents & Spacing tab). If they are not zero and the
spacing is not single, you will not get the results you are hoping for.
2) Create your table; make sure the assigned style is indeed Table
Contents. Set it to that otherwise (select the table, apply the style).
Set the vertical alignment to Middle to center the text in the row if
the font size is small - this is purely cosmetic.
3) Go to the Table Properties, and set the up and down border paddings
to zero. I sually leave the Left/Right to whatever value they have.
4) Select the table and set the row heigth to 0,22 inches (72 points
per inch), or 0.56cm. Make sure when you set the height that you
uncheck the Fit to size box

This should work.
Best regards,
Rémy.