Date sent:60;Tue, 24 Nov 2020 13:05:46 +0000
To:;=users@global.libreoffice.org
From:60;Brian Barker;b.m.barker@btinternet.com
Subject:;Re: [libreoffice-users] Question on value command
and Err:502

At 14:48 24/11/2020 +1000, Michael D. Setzer II wrote:
Put a more complex question, and got no responses yet.

You have to admit that your description and layout were pretty foggy!
Did anyone understand it?</font>

So, here it is in simplest form
=value(1+1) converts the 1+1 to 2
But =value( ) fails with Err:502 if text1+1is used or if a cell
containing the text 1+1 is used??
I've looked thru command, and this seems to be the one to convert a
text string to a value?

It is. But the text string1+1is not a value expressed as text but
a numerical expression in text form. And VALUE() does not undertake
to evaluate such expressions.

Is there another command, ...;

What you need instead is the EVALUATE() function. (PS: It doesn't exist!)

I think the fact that VALUE(1+1) entered as part of a formula does
what it does is a lucky side effect. Clearly in this case LibreOffice
is doing something similar to the automatic editing that is done when
any material is entered into a spreadsheet cell. I'm talking about
this sort of thing: when you type=+02(no quotes) into a cell
formatted as Number, you see just 2. The1+1in this case is being
entered into a cell (as part of a formula), not arising as the result
of some calculation.

As you mention, and as I found the evaluate command is what other
spreadsheets have that would seem to handle this, but libreoffice calc
doesn't??

Have just been playing with that GPS to Decimal problem, and was
trying to get a simplier process to do it.

Have made a number of macros, that can do it just fine, but they have
long formulas. Was looking to do it with a set of regex commands.
Commands did what I wanted, but can't get it to calculate the result..

Best I've gotten So Far.
Raw Data in column A
0315'090E
Have a Macro that puts formula in column
B=REGEX(REGEX(REGEX(REGEX(REGEX(INDIRECT(ADDRESS(ROW(),COLUMN()-1)),,+),',/60+ot;),CHAR(34),/3600),[EN],),[OSW],*(-1))
That creates the Forumula
03+15/60+090/3600
But value in macro fails if put around it, and using value on the cell, or even a
cell, where the data is copied fails. So, it is not being seen as a formula. Seems
Value only works on a string that only contains digits and nothing else?? And as
you said. LibreOffice doesn't have evaluate as others do.So, macro does what I want, but no way
I've found to automatically get it to
convert to the value.
I can do the following steps to get the result I want.
After running the macro I can manually do the following:
F2,F9,CR,HOME,=,CR
That puts the cell in edit mode, then F9 calculates it to the text formula and
enter, the Home to go to the beginning, insert an = to convert it from a text cell
to an actual format, and then enter to get the final result as digit values.

But again, LibreOffice doesn't have the keypress option to add that.
Other methods work fine, just was trying something different.
Just thought there would be some kind of command to do it..

Additionally, it probable is a flux that value(1+1) worked, probable does
calculation first, and then sees nothing to convert. When it see as string, it
probable checks for non-digits, and thus fails automatically..

Thought there might be something else. Not an issue that effects me, but
thought it would be interesting to figure out..

Have a nice day and be safe..

I trust this helps.

Brian Barker