El mié, 25-09-2019 a las 13:08 +0100, Brian Barker escribió:
At 13:33 24/09/2019 -0700, Mark Richter wrote:

[snip] Dare I say you may be suffering from Microsoft-itis? You talk
of the
issue being "with Writer" as if that is a separate application and
not just the word for using LibreOffice on text documents. [snip]

Or perhaps it is the poster's most frequently used application with the
LO suite and so where it was noticed? Dare I suggest you are over
reacting there?

[snip] So the real question is: why would you get yourself in the
position
of having that blank document if you didn't want it in the first
place? If, as you say, you want to open an existing document, you
can
do so by double-clicking the document outside LibreOffice or by
starting LibreOffice - not Writer, Calc, or whatever - and then
using
either of the techniques you describe. [snip]

Double-clicking on the document assumes that it is readily visible --
perhaps on a sloppy, crowded desktop? -- otherwise there are additional
steps. Opening LO certainly works as well as opening from within LO
Writer and is a bad recommendation. However, as I think about
alternating between creating and editing documents in Writer (my most
heavily used component of LO), going directly to Writer seems the most
natural way or working (at least for me). Furthermore, if you think
that this should be the MO for using LO, perhaps there should be no
links to open LO components directly from menus.

I'm most concerned with the persistence of the empty new document
window once something else is opened - that's not right.

If I was designing software and you'd chosen to open such a blank
document, I might want to let you keep it.

That may be, but it seems that the poster I have other ways of working
that make sense to us. Furthermore, why would I open a blank document
first if I were going to be working with both an existing and blank
document simultaneously? Opening the existing document first seems more
logical to me. However, all of that is beside the point because we are
talking about a change in what has been the default behavior and, if my
test in safe mode is any measure, is still the default behavior.