I recently upgraded to LO 6.3.1 (from 6.2.6? - I always wait for the
.1 update before upgrading).

I noticed a new issue with Writer.  In 6.2 and below, when I opened a
blank document and selected File -> Open Recent -> <file>, the file I
chose to open replaced the new blank file, either in the same window,
or in a new window and the old one was closed for me.

Also, when I opened a new Writer document and selected File -> Open ->
<file> (or <ctlr>O), the same thing happened.

In either case I only had one window open at this time.

Since 6.3.1 came out, the new blank document window persists, making
it an annoying extra step to close that unnecessary LO window since
the blank new document does not go away on its own.

This does not happen if I open a blank Calc window and select either
of the above two options - the blank spreadsheet window disappears
once I open the selected one of my choice.

This seems like a bug, unless it's a new option I have not seen.  I
haven't done an exhaustive search of the options, but I didn't see one
in the General options, Writer options or Load/Save options.  I did
see a 'show tips on startup' option which is checked by default.  I
have unchecked that in every app I've opened, but that doesn't seem to
stop them.  Is that another bug?

I'm most concerned with the persistence of the empty new document
window once something else is opened - that's not right.

Thanks.

Mark Richter, Senior Staff Engineer
http://www.linkedin.com/in/markrichter1
FSF Member #12694 http://www.fsf.org