Den sön 16 juni 2019 kl 08:43 skrev Luuk <luuk34@gmail.com>:

On 16-6-2019 05:59, V Stuart Foote wrote:
Luuk wrote
Why did this option not get a 'reserverd place in the menu' ? together
with the shortcut-key reference (
<Alt>
+X) ?

An option like
<Ctrl>
+C is only known to all people (more than 75 % ??),
because the shortcut key is next to it in the menu!
Hmm, interesting question.  The BZ tdf#73691 sheds no light, and I can't
remember any discussion of adding it to a menu. But it was prominently
advertised in the release notes for 5.1
<
https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/ReleaseNotes/5.1#Unicode_character_input_with_Alt.2BX

The actual .uno:UnicodeNotationToggle command is available to assign in
Customization receiving default en-US name in Customization of "Toggle
Unicode Notation" and can be added to Menu, Toolbars, and Context menu.
It
shows for LibreOffice globally as <Alt>+x -- Command Name and the
keyboard
shortcut are localized and configured by os.

  I could possibly see it assigned to the Standard toolbar, adjacent to
the
Special character dialog button.
But, I'm not sure how it could be ussed from menu, and which menu --
Insert,
Format or even Tools -- would hold it. Checked, and it does _not_ appear
on
any MS Office menus.

So kind of seems the enhancement of the BZ issue was fully
implemented--with
no functional reason to add it to a menu just to expose the shortcut.

Stuart

Thanks for the explanation.

There are other function which are useless in the menu, like i.e.
CTRL+C. Most (read 'all') users will use their keyboard.

That's not my experience. I'd rather say that most user's will use the
right click menu, only a few (like myself) use the keyboard for that. It's
very frustrating to look at. People are writing and they need to copy some
text, they move their hand to the mouse and it all takes like forever.

Kind regards

Johnny Rosenberg

About the position of 'ToglleUnicodeNotation' in the menu (if that ever
becomes an issue 😉),  the 'edit' menu is a better place, because it's
not inserting something.

Luuk