Automatic backups are nice, but I found out the hard way that files backed up from one computer can
not always be restored to another computer, or even to an updated drive or operating system on the
same computer.

And since I know that any electronic device will fail at some point, I usually just buy whichever
one is on sale. Drives are cheap enough that it’s not a big deal if I have to replace one, although
if I think the drive didn’t last long enough, or didn’t perform very well, I will definitely choose
a different brand/model for the replacement.

I do not have a huge amount of pictures or videos to back up, so my method is a little easier than
some:

I have a folder on my computer called “All”. Any data I create is saved to “All” or one of it’s
subfolders.

I have a 3TB external drive attached to my MacBook, which uses it to store the Time Machine backup
data.
Time Machine makes hourly backups of any files that have been changed.

In addition, on a regular basis, I copy “All” to the external drive, renaming it to reflect the
date/version.
Also, on a regular basis, I copy “All” to an external flash drive or memory card, and then rotate
through the drives so I always have several previous copies available.

If my “All” folder gets too large to fit on the flash drive, it’s easy enough to split it into two
folders…..
The more changes I make to my files, the more often I back them up.
Works well for me.