Hard drives will die (even SSDs). While MTBF indicates long periods of
time, some will still experience drive failures with corresponding loss
of data (been there, done that). If you want to use something external
to store your data while still having very low probability of data
loss, I would recommend buying a NAS. Most of these units will have
multiple disks used to ensure the loss of one hard disk will not
negatively affect you. Get a two-bay unit operated in RAID 1 at a
minimum; this means you can loose one disk and keep on going until you
replace the faulty disk. Units with more bays will provide additional
levels of protection, but at a higher initial investment (ASUSTOR 2-bay
units go for about 500-600 CAD$, 675-1000 CAD$ for 4-bay plus hard
disks - my IT buddy would probably tell you to go for WD Red). Look at
the offering in large surface stores, read the reviews, and then do
some price matching searches to get the best deals. As an added bonus,
these units will also host a media server so you can stream music or
videos to your entire network.

Oh, and also get an external disk drive to backup the more important
stuff on your NAS, to recover from accidental deletions - just in case.

I hope this helps.

Rémy Gauthier.