On 08/29/2017 03:37 AM, Cley Faye wrote:

I use the full path because it's the only one that gives output as you can
see:

apb@yellow:/usr/local/src/greetonix/src$ /usr/lib/libreoffice/program/soffice
-h
apb@yellow:/usr/local/src/greetonix/src$ /usr/bin/libreoffice -h
apb@yellow:/usr/local/src/greetonix/src$ /usr/lib/libreoffice/program/soffice.bin
-h
LibreOffice 5.1.6.2 10m0(Build:2)

Usage: soffice [options] [documents...]
[snip]

​Maybe THAT should be fixed before investigating further, because it should
work. This means that somehow​ libreoffice can't find it's installation
directory. It might or might not be related to your difficulties, but
there's no doubt that something's wrong here.

Good call. I have a document I modify multiple times per day, so I leave it open 24/7. That document has a macro I wrote, which has a bug I have not had time to deal with. That bug crashes LO - but only when I try to shut LO down. So I can modify the doc all day for weeks to do what I need to do, but once I close LO I get the crash. I just sent yet another auto-generated error report (several hundred probably by now) to wherever it is they go.

So, exiting LO allows "libreoffice -h" as well as your suggested solution "libreoffice --headless --nolockcheck --convert-to csv a.xlsx" to work. Going back into LO - even *without* opening my document with the macro - causes the conversion to fail silently. Adding "-env:UserInstallation=file:///tmpdir" fixes the silent failure.

So, the issue seems to be twofold. My macro gunked up LO and caused the conversion to fail, and having LO open requires use of the -env option as noted.

Wouldn't you agree the real fix is to get the LO crash fixed in which case my macro - buggy or not - shouldn't affect anything?

Thanks for all your and everyone else's help & suggestions!