On 07/06/2017 06:41 PM, Virgil Arrington wrote:
On 07/06/2017 07:32 PM, Girvin Herr wrote:
My tests today showed that the latest Slackware Linux kernel security
upgrade 4.4.75 kernel is the culprit.
The upgrade manager on my Linux Mint 18 gives each package update a
priority level, 1 being the highest and 5 the lowest. The manager then
checks the upgrades it recommends installing. Since I installed Mint
nearly a year ago, the kernel upgrades have always been rated 5 and
never has the upgrade manager recommended that I install a kernel
upgrade. It also warns that kernel regressions can cause bad things to
happen. Since my computer is working fine, I have never clicked to
upgrade my kernel.

Virgil

Virgil,
I take computer security seriously, so when I see a security upgrade is available, I usually install it asap. That said, my experience with kernel upgrades has not been all that positive. Whenever something disastrous has happened, it usually has been after a kernel upgrade. I would guess my success rate is about 50% for kernel upgrades - whether I screw up the process, like forgetting to run LILO before rebooting, or in this case, a compromised kernel package. 50% is not a good success rate. Upgrades are risky, so your policy is probably a good one and I may assume that same policy from now on. Actually, I did have that policy a few years ago, but I got complacent from success and it bit me. I will have to revisit it. In general I agree with you - if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Another aspect is that Slackware spends months, if not years, testing each new release to be sure it is a well-integrated and working set of packages. Updates, or what Slackware calls "patches", are not as fully tested because they need to get out fast, especially in the case of security patches. So, I doubt they are tested as thoroughly as for the distro release. Some "gotchas" are bound to slip through.

Note that what I am talking about are security updates, not non-security updates. The latter are totally optional. The former have a certain amount of risk if _not_ installed.

Note also that Slackware does not have an automatic update manger. I use the Linux security website, linuxsecurity.com ( http://www.linuxsecurity.com). The site lists the Slackware security updates by date released and then I go to my favorite Slackware mirror site, download the packages, check the gpg signatures, and install them. I usually do this once a month, just before I do my monthly backup. Actually, I install them _after_ the backup, so if something goes really badly, I can restore the backup and be where I was before the upgrades. Luckily, that has never been the case, but Murphy's law prevails, so I continue the policy.

Girvin