Date: prev next · Thread: first prev next last
2017 Archives by date, by thread · List index

Thanks for your response. groups? In what way? Anything specific I should be aware of from your experience? Does something with LO require a special group, like k3b "suggests" a "burner" group, which I would need to be a member of to burn CDs? I just checked the group file and didn't see anything out of the ordinary or any group I should be a member of and am not.

Since this problem seems ubiquitous across many LO versions and across other user accounts on my machine that I tested, I am now doubting this issue is a LO problem. Although it may be a problem which only LO encounters, since no other apps, including AOO, are having any problems. I am going off to do some troubleshooting with another similar computer which has not been updated yet since the end of March. Hopefully, it will work and I can incrementally install the security updates one at a time while retesting LO for crashing after each installation. Hopefully, the culprit update package will show itself. So, I may be off for a while, but if I discover anything, I will post it here on this thread. I will keep your suggestion in mind as I am troubleshooting.


On 07/06/2017 07:54 AM, Paul D. Mirowsky wrote:
Just a shot in the dark.

May want to look to see all proper groups are set.

On 7/5/2017 6:56 PM, Girvin Herr wrote:

On 07/05/2017 02:14 AM, Alexander Thurgood wrote:
Le 05/07/2017 à 01:20, Girvin Herr a écrit :

Hi Girvin,

Now that I upgraded to LO from LO 5.1.6, every time I try to log
in to Mariadb to access my database, LO crashes hard. This worked fine
in 5.1.6 and it still works now in OpenOffice 4.1.3. I checked the Java
config under Options and it is fine. I tried deleting the profile
directory and starting from scratch. It still crashed. LO also crashes
when I use the "Test Connection" button in the database configuration
dialog to try to log in to Mariadb.

Any ideas before I return to 5.1.6?
Could be several things, although off the cuff, LO5.2.x was known to
crash in certain circumstances with JDKu112, so either:
- revert back to LO5.1.x or else
- try updating your JDK to a much more recent one and see if that makes
a difference with LO5.2.x, or else
- move to LO5.3.x and a current JDK.

Why do I mention a Java problem ? Because the devs changed the version
number recognition pattern for JDK/JVM instantiation somewhere between
5.1 and 5.2, and this is what caused crashing for some. This was fixed
in 5.3. Of course, it could all be specific to your Slackware setup...


Thanks for your prompt response. I have been working on this problem all morning. I first upgraded jdk-8u112 with jdk-8u131 with the same results. I then tried LO with the same results. I then tried LO with the same results. I then upgraded the MySQL Connector from 5.1.40 to 5.1.42 with the same results. Nothing I do seems to affect whatever is causing LO to crash. I also started LO from a console to see if LO spit out any pertinent messages when it crashed - none.

Whatever is happening here, it is broad. I even tried to use my OpenOffice Base odb file with the same LO results. Now this file works fine in AOO.

There are two datapoints I had not thought of when I posted my message yesterday. One is that I successfully edited and printed a report on 6/19/17 with LO So, it was working at that time.

The other is that I upgraded glibc from version 2.23 build 1 to 2.23 build 2 yesterday, before I noticed LO crashing. But I tried returning to the old glibc version and LO still crashed, so I doubt glibc was the cause. The other Slackware packages that I changed yesterday are: bind, irssi, mozilla-firefox, openvpn, sudo, the Linux kernel, httpd, libcgroup, libcrypt, mkinitrd, mozilla-thunderbird, nasm, and pkg-config. None of these should have affected LO, but...

There is something else going on besides Base crashing. I was checking the "Tools" | "Options" with nothing loaded and when I got to the bottom item, "Internet" | "MediaWiki", LO crashed when I selected it. I wasn't even close to MySQL or Base at the time.

BTW: I am running a Dual-core Athlon CPU, 32-bit ix86 Linux and Java, 8GB RAM, and 10% of 1TB disk space used. So it shouldn't be a lack of resources. Besides, as I said, OpenOffice is still running fine. My problem with using AOO, is that it does not have the Base Report Generator I need to print my reports.

Hope this helps narrow this problem down. I am about to issue a bug report on this. It is certainly repeatable, if frustrating.

To unsubscribe e-mail to:
Posting guidelines + more:
List archive:
All messages sent to this list will be publicly archived and cannot be deleted


Privacy Policy | Impressum (Legal Info) | Copyright information: Unless otherwise specified, all text and images on this website are licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution-Share Alike 3.0 License. This does not include the source code of LibreOffice, which is licensed under the Mozilla Public License (MPLv2). "LibreOffice" and "The Document Foundation" are registered trademarks of their corresponding registered owners or are in actual use as trademarks in one or more countries. Their respective logos and icons are also subject to international copyright laws. Use thereof is explained in our trademark policy.