Thanks for your response. groups? In what way? Anything specific I should be aware of from your experience? Does something with LO require a special group, like k3b "suggests" a "burner" group, which I would need to be a member of to burn CDs? I just checked the group file and didn't see anything out of the ordinary or any group I should be a member of and am not.

Since this problem seems ubiquitous across many LO versions and across other user accounts on my machine that I tested, I am now doubting this issue is a LO problem. Although it may be a problem which only LO encounters, since no other apps, including AOO, are having any problems. I am going off to do some troubleshooting with another similar computer which has not been updated yet since the end of March. Hopefully, it will work and I can incrementally install the security updates one at a time while retesting LO for crashing after each installation. Hopefully, the culprit update package will show itself. So, I may be off for a while, but if I discover anything, I will post it here on this thread. I will keep your suggestion in mind as I am troubleshooting.

Thanks.
Girvin