Hi :)
Thanks :))   ^_^

That confirmed what i believed and added some detail i hadn't been aware of
at all.  I hadn't been at all aware of the dBase 3 part and although that's
as clear as mud to me right now it's not something i feel i need to
understand any better.  It kinda sounds like there is some sort of
duplication of functionality that would be a nightmare to unentangle.

My experience of MS's jet-engine was that it kinda worked just fine but i
take the point about Murphy's Law wrt back-ups for it - ie  the only way to
ensure you don't need a back-up is to go to the trouble of making one.
Although i did once make a back-up of one at work and needed it right
away.

Anyway, thanks Garvin and Jonathon for fixing my existential anxiety so
quickly ! :))
Thanks and regards from
Tom :)