On 02/28/2017 06:08 PM, Bruce Byfield wrote:

The same argument could be used of TrueType fonts.

The days of TrueType fonts are numbered. However, OpenType support is
not yet universal.  :(

Why should they, when support for them remains?

Support for Type 1 is, at best, spotty.

designers have invested substantially in Type 1 fonts over the years,
and this decision leaves them stranded.

I fully sympathise with those that are using legacy typefaces,
especially because replacing them can be very expensive. (To quote an
email I received today for a typeface: MSRP US$500,000 on sale today for
only US$5,000. The included fonts are so ugly, that even if they were
gratis, one would be paying too much for them.)

chart of free font equivalents for proprietary fonts that I drew up about a year ago:

The difference between proprietary typefaces, and free typefaces, is
that the latter usually come in only one weight, whilst the latter
usually come with at least half a dozen weights.

jonathon