On 20/02/17 16:30, Bruce Hohl wrote:
To the right of 'Properties' there is a drop down icon which if you
mouse-over has the tag 'Side bar setting'.  Click that icon to select
'Styles and Formatting'.  (If someone knows another way please chime-in.)

I'm with Ian on this one. Those changes you suggest work for the current
spreadsheet but as soon as you do :
File > New > Spreadsheet, the new sheet opens with Liberation Sans 10
selected and in place.

If you open the Default style by right-click > modify > Font tab, you
can set the font to anything else you like but one thing that makes me
think the default is set at a deeper level is that on the style modify
dialog, there is a fourth button (at RHS) labeled 'Standard'.  Clicking
this sets Liberation Sans 10 again.

According to the help info, the Standard button "Resets the values
visible in the dialog back to the default installation values"

If I prepare a new blank spreadsheet with my preferred font and save it
as a new template, whenever I open a new spreadsheet by File > New >
Templates > Spreadsheets tab > select my new template > click Open, I
get a new blank spreadsheet with my fonts I selected. So this is
available as a workaround but it involves a lot of clicks just to get
what is needed. More clicks than it takes to change the font in the
default spreadsheet.

Moreover, within the new spreadsheet from the new template, if I open
the style modification dialog and click the 'Standard' button, then I'm
again in the Liberation Sans 10 font.

So where to go to change the 'Standard' setting remains a useful
question.  Could the answer be in the Tools > Options > LibreOffice >
Advanced and then look at org.openoffice.VCL > DefaultFonts  where I see
that the Liberation family gets lots of mentions ?

Perhaps someone more used to modifying these Advanced settings could
comment ?

Philip