I had this problem years ago, and wrote to the list for help. The solution was to create a separate empty spreadsheet, (and a write document?), then convert? it to a template, and label it somehow, in order to set the default font and size. The Elephant in this Room is: These two settings belong in the Tools->Options section.

One might say that there are many options that can be changed on a default template, but I, for one, only change 2 (coincidently font and size :) ). I assume this applies to most people in the world. For those that do complicated set-ups, let them create default documents and make them templates.

By the way, after much help from the list, I finally gave up. I allow LO to start the document with the _wrong_ font and size, then I go to the upper left corner on the sheet to select all cells, then I set the _correct_ font and size there.

John