Thanks for all the detail. And I agree that, for specific tasks, there are better tools than LO. If
I were typing a college report, I would probably prefer LaTeX. For a quick presentation, I have
used Beamer and the results are stunning.

My problem is that if I ever need to deviate from LaTeX's default formats, I run into a brick wall.
Like most office suites, LO is a "jack of all trades". No matter what I need to do, I can find a
way to do it with LO even if it's not necessarily the " best" way.

Virgil