Hi Dave,

Dave schrieb:
Hi Regina,

On 11.10.2016 16:40, Regina Henschel wrote:
Hi Dave,

Dave schrieb:
Hi Folks,

Is there a way of inserting or pasting an image into a Writer text box,
similar to images in an MS Word text box.?

Is there a special reason why you want to use a text box instead of a
frame?

Kind regards
Regina

OK! More information. I am in the process of migrating a small
organisation from MSO and have been successfully fielding all the usual
"what about" questions. However, there is one individual (there is
always at least one) who is pushing hard against the migration.

I can understand them. For me it is the other way round. When I'm forced to use Word, I'm always searching where to find things.

The subject line of this email was a question I was asked and my
response was much the same as yours. The counter argument then was "You
can multiple select and auto-align text boxes in Word, but you cannot do
that with Writer frames."

Multiple select is indeed only possible with drawing objects.

In regard to auto-align, show them, that the position and wrap properties in LibreOffice have far more possibilities as in Word and therefore an "auto-align" (what ever that is?) makes no sense. Or tell them that immediately after inserting, the image is still selected and they can use the alignment options from the context menu. Or teach them how to show/hide grid and enable snap to grid, and then let them drag the images around with the mouse.

I never really understood the logic of introducing "Text Boxes" into
Writer, or what purpose they were intended to serve, when frames already
existed.

The text box (I mean the T icon) is a drawing object and you can select, group and align it as any other drawing object and together with other drawing objects.

Because MS Office has no Draw component, you will need to show that too. And inserting an image first in Draw and then copy&paste it to Writer will turn it into a drawing object. Then you can do all the drawing things like multiple select and grouping and free rotating. There exist currently no way to insert an image directly as drawing object in Writer.

Some suggest to use a rectangle shape and set the image as background of that shape. But then you loose the ability to crop the image.

I've got Word 2010 and for me one heavy argument is, that LibreOffice can view SVG-images. Are newer Word version able to view SVG? If not, that may be a good argument for LibreOffice for your audience.

 Even saving documents in ODT format from MS Word converts their
text boxes into our frames.

Only the "text field" from 'Compatible mode' of Word is converted to frame. Those "text fields", which are docx-type only, are converted to shapes and therefore loose the linking of "text fields" (same as our linking of frames). So the import filter still needs improvement.

So the short answer to this question is, no. Which is what I already
believed to be the case.

Kind regards
Regina