"Trial of Libre Office" was not the correct place. Please excuse me.
Brian Barker had some things to say about it and he did offer some help which I appreciate. I did use the prefix "Open". openSCAD is what I was working with earlier and I mistakenly started typing "opencalc". Everything I'm talking about is LibreOffice_calc here and I'm quite sure there is no "openOffice" hiding. In fact I thought that was killed by Oracle years ago.

Brian had some questions about how I read, with curl and perl5, the csv files which seemed to be applying an apostrophe to dates formatted as MM/DD/YYYY. I have done some searching and it appears that I just don't understand date formats in LibreOffice_calc. Some while-trying comments:

Managed to open *.csv into new window using the suggested procedures.
Copy and paste into BANK worksheet worked OK in the far right area starting at column K

I selected the csv data and performed a copy followed by a paste into my worksheet but moved over to the right starting at column K.

Some samples of the data from the comma separated file:
   K                       L M N            O
08/17/2016 08/19/2016 GH BASS & CO #4385 JEFFERSONVILLOH 52.27 Merchandise 08/17/2016 08/19/2016 PEPPERIDGE FARM - 328 JEFFERSONVILLOH 16.06 Restaurants 08/17/2016 08/19/2016 WS OUTLET 0463 JEFFERSNVILLEOH0001000161651608171518 56.28 Merchandise

to match into the ledger page I use these formulas and then convert the results to values so I can add the lines to the ledger and sort by one of the date columns.
A =K172, B =L172,  (C) 9/27, (D) DISC, (E) B,  F =N172, (G) DISC, H =M172
These values are loaded into the left side columns with a fill down.
Row 172 is one of 166 to 197 this month but it varies. Other downloaded data, banks, use the space above row 172.

Formulas  =K167, =L167 in columns A and B seem ok as copies

____But _____
Copy and paste-special adds a ' at the start of the MM/DD/YYYY date.
I can't sort by date anymore!

Changing the format for columns A and B to date doesn't help.

Format-NumberFormat-date selection applied to A and B columns.
now do the copy and paste special selecting just date/time
  columns A and B become blank on row 169

Selecting date/time and numbers does the same thing

>>Selecting date/time, numbers, text generates the leading apostrophe.<<

Copy  starting at columns K and L
and paste special with date/time, numbers, text does the same thing.

Can someone point me to the book I should be reading? It isn't Excel! This is only one of the problems I was having in the badly addressed earlier message.