Yes, but there is in the open source community a lack of the kind of
open source that brought to the world such things as Linux and
Libre office..    its called need..

need has a market.. if i were running the open source.. i would give
some real thought to getting potential users to vote for a product
or a product change.. in advance.. the build it they will come does
not work well.. instead  should me it is needed there we will
build it..

For example a few years back if anyone had said I will develop
an alternative spreadsheet to compete with the vendors our here,
as soon as 100,000 send in $20 each..

That money would have been 100,000 sales.. and each person
would be tell developers what it is that got their $20 bucks.

Right now if someone were do that with CAD, Libre Cad lacks so
much, it is hard to call it competitive, I mean it cannot really
compete with the commercial cad ware out there
I would bet 500,000 people would any up $20 around the globe.

Make a product on a dedicated os, so that the os is never a problem
its invisible to the cad and it will reduce commercial cad to about the
level of commercial word processors.

the market must pay, but there is no need for a vendor to
discover a market need, then get a patent, lobby the government
 and then get to government to make it a monopoly so the
vendor can force the market to pay

Linux was a project in which everyone that could participated..
because the need for such a product was extremely in need.