I'm moving over from my old Word for Windows 2003 to LibreOffice Writer 5.1.4.2 on Ubuntu Studio.

I want to be able to do everything I could do on Word in Writer, but I'm having problems with the alphabetical indexing facilities. I once indexed a book using a macro on Word from the American Society of Indexers, and it worked well. I've followed the Documentation for Writer, but am not sure whether I'm missing something, whether there's a bug, or whether I should be looking for some other programme or add-on.

Is there some user's guide written from the point of view of an indexer?

For instance, in trying it out, I indexed the term 'Blair' and selected 'Apply to all similar texts'. Then I compiled the alphabetical index and found 60 entries for 'Blair'. This tells me that I need ten or so sub-headings in the index. So, using the editing window, I tried to edit each entry. I need to step through them. This I can do if I just need to view the entries, but as soon as I edit an entry the step-through doesn't work any longer; it moves onto the next indexed term whether or not it's 'Blair'. So I have to step through all the other terms until I reach 'Blair'. I tried instead using the 'Find' option to get to the next 'Blair', but that is disabled as long as the edit window is showing. So I have to close the edit window, search for the next 'Blair' using 'Find', then call up the edit window. The whole procedure takes 15 secs, and so going through 60 terms would take 15 mins. I can't find any means of deleting the whole lot and starting again, other than deleting them individually, in which case I run into the same problem.

Can anyone please advise?

Many thanks,
Ian