On 06/01/2016 02:59 AM, Piet van Oostrum wrote:
V Stuart Foote wrote:

  > Well sure. But remember, even if some of the "legacy" deprecated document
  > formats are eventually removed The Document Foundation sponsors an archive
  > of prior LibreOffice project release builds.
  >
  > http://downloadarchive.documentfoundation.org/libreoffice/old/
  >
  > So you are covered either way :-)

Until your current O.S. no longer supports these old releases, or your current hardware no longer
supports the relevant O.S. releases, or the relevant older hardware is no longer available :)

Yes, "until your current OS. . . ." and old hardware available are two real qualifiers. I no longer have a working floppy drive [internal or external ones] to read any files on either two standard sizes of floppies.

Whenever I find a legacy format, I do my best to save/export the file to a more usable format.

examples;

1] I saved the two .sxw files, that I downloaded yesterday, to the .odt format.

2] As long as MS Office still reads/writes .doc [and other 97-2003 formats] I will be using it to send word processing documents to MS Office users - not .docx. For those users, they have several different versions of MS Office from 2007 to the latest version[s]. So using .docx, currently, may not be the most compatible for this example.

After OpenOffice.org went to 3.x, I made sure all of my .sxw files were converted to the .odt format.

I was surprised that some web sites still had .sxw files [plus some had pdf versions] as their only editable file format of their "educational" work. The books I downloaded were in .sxw so I really think the creator[s] really loved OOo. Also it was also a warning of potentially outdated information.

I was looking for free "beginner" C/C++ books. I lost a lot of my programming skills after each of 3 strokes. I want to start looking into relearning C/C++ to do some things that I use to do, and I could not figure out how to do some of those things in Python. I found many of the free e-books [.epub, .mobi, and .pdf] books I wanted, and will use other physical ones, for references.