On Wed, May 11, 2016, at 04:18 PM, Andrew Pitonyak wrote:

For most users, the recorder is a decent solution.

As for support, do not expect that from MS unless you have a credit
card. I found some bugs in their C++ compiler about 15 years ago. 5 to
10 years later I thought for sure they would have fixed them. Nope, I
had to work around them yet again. It had to do with their streaming
classes. There was a failure when the <CR><LF> boundary was split by a
buffer read for some built-in text reading routines. Not like I could
just call MS and get support.

I agree that their support also has issues, but the good thing is the
number of printed resources available.  Did I mention I like to read
documentation?

A number of years ago I completed a very large VB6 project.  A month
later MS announced the end of VB as we knew it.  That is when I decided
to go with open source where ever possible.  I still feel that way, but
sometimes it just does not work out.

For sure they have a better object layer for manipulating documents.
Not even close. I have never looked at their Macro programming
resources, but, if possible, be certain to use the .NET classes since
VBA is still littered with bugs. Last time I wrote a VBA application,
half my code was related to working around bugs in their language
implementation. These bugs initially existed in OpenOffice.org, but
were fixed years ago; for example, bugs related to determining an
arrays size in certain circumstances. I had to write special routines
to deal with these issues. Moving to the .NET versions made things
really nice, however, with full access to the .NET container classes.
If you have no particular need to run where MSO is not supported, not
a bad move. Good luck on your project.