I have not been following this discussion, BUT from a guy who is typing this comment using Thunderbird, having been using it for years. . .

The only thing about Thunderbird, for me right now, was the "chore" it was to to switch systems when the one it was on, since 2010, is now down for repairs. It was not geared for syncing your email between two or more systems - i.e. desktop, laptop, and maybe tablet - according to everything I have read.

I really like Thunderbird, other than that, and have been using it since I was still using my original WinXP system when MS's personal email package "failed". Now I have been using it on a Ubuntu system - desktop then laptop.

I do not really think we should to bundle Thunderbird with LibreOffice, but we may be able to promote Thunderbird as a "partner software" especially on Windows systems. I know that Windows want us to use their packages. If we promoted Thunderbird on Windows systems, since Linux systems, mostly[?], installs Thunderbird as the default email client.

MS Office became really bloated early, with packages that was what they thought users need other than what LibreOffice currently installs. LO has done a really good job with what is included. I really do not want to include other opensource packages, other than maybe extension resources. Do we want to commit to adding an email package to what LO developers need to work on, or a package like Inkscape? Others have produced packages like those, and more, that we should not add in LO's installation bundle. MS wanted to control every package that a user, personal or business, that MS determined they must have. So far LibreOffice has not gone that way. For me, I rarely need to use Draw, Impress, Math, or Base. If we add an email package to LO's installation, what would be next that others might want to be included with LO? What other package others want our developers to add to their limited development time? We do not have the resources of a paid software company. We should stick with LibreOffice's needs.

On the "promotion" of other opensource package, LO could do that. We could have a web page with other packages that "may" be useful to the users. Those could be packages like Thunderbird and other packages that may complement LO that would help users in personal and professional work. That would allow a user[s] to choose what additional packages to download and use, instead include them within a single download file. We currently have language options for interface and help installs, and not require users to download ones that they do not want to use, or at least for non-Windows installs.

Let LibreOffice be its current configuration and not add packages. Should we support other opensource package. Yes, but in a way[s] that does not require LO people to develop it.