Hi Patrick,

While this does not address your problem directly, I wonder whether it is possible to break your document down into a master document with sub documents:

https://help.libreoffice.org/Writer/Master_Documents_and_Subdocuments

There is also a section devoted to this topic in the writer manual:

http://www.libreoffice.org/get-help/documentation/

Based on the size and complexity of your document, migrating in this direction is initially going to take a bit of time and effort. It won't be easy! But, again, based on what you have told us, management of the existing document is likely to throw up continuous challenges which may be avoidable.

Sorry I can't answer your existing problem but I hope I have provided food for thought.

Cheers