On 2015-10-21 09:49, Bruce Byfield wrote:
On Wednesday 21 October 2015 07:42:50 AM Steve Edmonds wrote:
Hi.
I'm about to show my ignorance here, what is Tools > Outline Numbering
for. The help and Writer guide a a bit brief.

For years I have been creating manuals with a layout
1
     1.1
        1.1.1 etc. where these items are all in the table of contents.
Last night I change the style of Heading 4 and looked a bit deeper and I
find I am using Heading styles 1-4 with Numbering style 1.
When I look at Outline Numbering it sets the paragraph style for each
outline level but there are no position and spacing or number and
character style set. These are all set in the paragraph and numbering
styles.
How does Tools > Outline Numbering do more than assign a paragraph style
to an outline level, do the settings in Tools > Outline Numbering over
ride the styles or vis versa.

Any help to clear the fog much appreciated.
Outline Numbering does far more than outline. The headings assigned to outline
levels are the ones that determine what appears in the Navigator and the
dialogs for cross-references and Tables of Contents. Best to consider Outline
Numbering and paragraph and list styles as two separate options for outline
numbering.

Not completely correct I think. Cross references has selections from Headings (includes headings not in Outline numbering) and numbered paragraphs (includes paragraphs not in outline numbering). I agree with the navigator and table of contents. What I am not sure of is the inter-reaction of the position and spacing or number and character style settings in Outline Numbering and those in paragraph and numbered list settings.
Steve