Hi all,

Alex Thurgood wrote on 11-10-15 11:44:

Suffice it to say that Andreas is a vociferous participant in this
discussion list, but that doesn't make his criticisms any less justified
or relevant.

Indeed. Maybe I do not have the same opinion as Andreas always, but his
technical contributions are useful and IMO much appreciated.

[...] The
project from the start has sacrificed behavioural stability with regard
to the end user for feature creep.

I fully understand your concern on development, and partly share it.
I seriously don't think you can uphold the opinion that all major and so
much needed improvements are 'feature creep'.
Italo is simply correct when he refers to AOO as a dead and buggy code
project. The technical debt that LibreOffice started to fight in 2010
was one of maybe already a decade or more old. New features in
OpenOffice.org in the last years were even implemented in Java
extensions, so that the core code could be avoided..
But doing that work is a pain and needs many hands.

The good thing is that there is now a wonderful amount of people helping
on the code. Still more welcome, but we may feel happy with where we are.
The sad thing is that on the QA side less people contribute and things
can be further improved. This affects potentially all users, of whom
many could be valid contributors :)

Thus it is not without reason that LibreOffice has two branches. And
depending on your work, skills, time etc. there is a wide range to chose
from the last updates in the still branch, to early in the Fresh line
and even daily builds. The latter are great for most of the work, but of
course not for professional deployments.
And there are supported LTS versions - see below.

Fortunately, there are still people like Andreas to call the code
contributors out on those decisions.

And he is not alone in that.
But note that the ESC and the board are working (after all that already
has been done) on more ideas to further improve:
https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Development/RegressionIdeas

Mind that not changing and improving compared where we are and were five
years ago, is no option.

At present, long term support (bug fixes, security updates) for older
versions is to my knowledge only available on Linux and only with regard
to certain distributions.

To my knowledge bot Collabora and CIB offer versions with much longer
support. Quite affordable and really valuable for organizations.

Cheers,
Cor

--
Cor Nouws