Hi, Thanks for the thoughts.  Yes I always keep back versions (there were
197 in the first revision of the Standard).

So, that said. . . .
What packages have been used to edit the document in the past
- version specifics included.  The earlier versions of OOo
[whatever number it was when OOo started reading/writing .doc
files] did different things to a .doc formated document that
looked a little different in LO 4.0.x, when I opened them to
do some editing and saving them into both .doc and .odt
formats.  MS Word edits to a "document.odt" file then edited
by LO 4.3.x [through 4.4.x] and then editing by AOO, then
Word, then back to LO, can insert a lot of unneeded
formatting "tags" in the document.  I have seen this with LO
to Word to LO to Word and back to LO document editing.  I
have seen this in .docx and .odt files.  For such an "round-robin"
editing cycle, I tend to ask for the file in some older
format, like .doc, to stop the "padding of blank tags" or any
other "extra stuffings"
of non-needed formatting.

The document was only ever edited with OpenOffice, probably using all
versions current from 2001 -> 2008.  It was never a .doc file, only .odt.

YES
Tom, I really hope someone has created some add on
extension/filter to clean out all the unneeded "blank" tags
and other formatting info.  I really hated to do it myself.
I almost rather save the document to a formatted .txt file
extension and redo the "real formatting" over the manual
removal of all of the "blank" formatting tags.

It's an extremely complex document with highly technical formatting, so any
manual editing of the tags (or redoing the formatting) isn't really an
option.

That said .. perhaps exporting it to some other format then reloading it
would preserve content and formatting and omit the redundant tags?  Any
suggestions as to which format to try would be welcome (not MSWord, by the
sound of it)!

Mike