(Original sent 22 Sept 2015 doesn't seem to have got through to the list; apologies if this ends up as a duplicate)

Gilles wrote:
Hello

I have another Impress-related question to which I (obviously) found no
answer.

Some of the slides are animated, but Impress only shows the first part. I
notice that those slides an little icon on the left…
http://s12.postimg.org/r5u63t771/Libre_Office_Impress_play_animated_slide.png
… but I found no item in the menu that offered a way to split an animated
slide into its different steps.

I'm not sure that you can, other than by duplicating the slide and manually editing each copy to include just the animations you want and ends looking the same as the next one starts. But if you later reposition something on one slide, you'd have to duplicate that change on all the other copies where that item is visible.

Is there a way, at least, to see the different steps on an animated slide?

From the menu, click Slide Show > Custom Animation. Or on the sidebar on the right side of the Impress window, click the yellow star ("custom animation"). It shows the animations for objects on the selected slide, and you can adjust the timing, order, triggers, etc.

The "automatic preview" option there seems to just preview the one effect you change, not the entire state of the slide at the time of that effect. I usually use Slide Show > Start from Current Slide and just click through the various effects to see what they look like and check that things happen in the right order. I don't use Impress much though, so there may be better ways.

Mark.